About the department
The Department of English was started in the year 1979, offering Under Graduate course B.A. English and M.A. English course was started in the year 2012, cater to the needs of students and has grown in tune with the demands of the Institution and improved its strength. Out of its 16 regular vacancies, currently there are 9 regular staff and 3 Guest Lecturers. The members of faculty have presented / published research papers in National / International Conferences and Journals of repute.
The Department has established a research laboratory for PG students to carry out their project with the guidance of members of faculty. In the year 2019, candidates joined Ph.D programme under part-time mode. Efforts are taken with every possible aspects to make it as Full-time research centre for Ph.D. programme in English
- To enable students to communicate information efficiently in spoken and written discourse.
- To equip students with the requisite language and skills that will make them effective in their job situations.
- To advance the general understanding of the students of what it means to be human.
- To introduce students to the tools of literary scholarship.
- To enhance students’ English proficiency and accuracy
- To strengthen their ability to analyze forms of literary expression.
- To enable students to develop a holistic understanding of literatures in English.
- To equip them for further studies, research and career opportunities.
- To foster a culture of independent, progressive life-long passion towards the study of English language and literature.
- To convey knowledge of literary history, literary forms, literary theory, and a wide variety of texts and a wide array of vocabularies and practices used to consider them.
- To provide students with sophisticated writing and critical thinking skills useful not only in the academy but also in the world at large.
- To introduce students to the tools of research and broaden their critical sensibilities.
- To stimulate and develop the imagination and critical thinking of the students through teaching and research and to develop the department as a centre for academic excellence, professional expertise, and contextual research in English Studies.
|Course||Major||Full time/Part time||Sanctioned strength
Full time faculty members :
|SI.No||Name and Qualification||Designation||Photo|
|1||Dr. R. GOWRISHANKAR M.A., M.A, B.Ed, M..Phil.,Ph.D.,||Assistant Professor and Head
|2||Dr. G. SORAMUTHURAJ M.A,M.Phil,Ph.D.,||Assistant Professor|
|3||Dr. S.SARAVANAN M.A,M.Phil,Ph.D||Assistant Professor|
|4||Dr. K.P.SREEKALA M.A,M.Phil., Ph.D||Assistant Professor|
|5||Ms. G.SHANMUGAPRIYA M.A,M.Phil., B. Ed.||Assistant Professor|
|8||Dr. N.JAYASREE M.A,M.Phil.,Ph.D,||Assistant Professor|
|9||Ms. A.SENDHAMARAI M.A,M.Phil.||Assistant Professor|
Guest Lecturers :